#PickoftheWeek | Learn About Tiffany’s Awe-Inspiring Queens History
BY QEDC It's In Queens ON Nov 19, 2020
Music, sculpture, and culinary deliciousness, obviously, but don’t forget the stained glass! Queens has been the center of the art world for years.
Learn more about the borough’s design history — and its female talent — during a special online presentation, Women at the Tiffany Studios in Queens on Monday, Nov. 23, at noon.
The Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass Executive Director and Curator Lindsy R. Parrott will share inside information and historic images of the women — artists, decorators, designers, etc. — who worked at Tiffany Studios in Corona. She’ll highlight the Women’s Glass Cutting Department, certain individuals, and their contributions.
Attendance is free, but please RSVP.
Louis C. Tiffany (1848-1933) is associated with High Society due to his respected, innovative creations, which include ceramics, glassware, jewelry, lamps, leaded-glass windows, metalwork, mosaics, and textiles. Many of his clients — including President Chester A. Arthur and Mark Twain — were extremely wealthy and powerful individuals looking to adorn their mansions.
But much of his best work came from Corona, where he opened glass furnaces near what’s now 43rd Avenue and 97th Place in 1893. Soon thereafter, he constructed studios and workshops there where a team — consisting of everything from designers to chemists — operated for about 40 years.
Parrott has been at The Neustadt for 15 years. The Parsons School of Design graduate has published numerous articles and catalogues related to Tiffany and his art, especially his opalescent flat glass. She’s also curated traveling exhibitions on a variety of Tiffany-related topics, such as his translation of nature into glass.
The Neustadt, a nonprofit that curates a permanent gallery at Queens Museum, loans objects to health care facilities, and spearheads traveling shows, is a legacy from Egon and Hildegard Neustadt. The newlywed Austrian immigrants bought their first Tiffany object from a vintage shop in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village while looking to decorate their Flushing home in 1935. At the time, Hildegard (1911-1961) really wanted to buy a stained-glass daffodil lampshade she saw there as well, but they were just starting out and finances were tight. As time passed, Egon (1898-1984) had a successful career as an orthodontist and real estate developer that allowed the married couple to amass a huge collection of Tiffany objects over about 50 years.
Editor’s note: The above image was taken on the roof of Tiffany Studios in 1904 or 1905. It belongs to The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art in Winter Park, Florida. Clara Driscoll, who ran the Women’s Glass Cutting Department, is standing at the far left. The bottom photo depicts the Neustadt collection at Queens Museum.