It’s in Queens
#PickoftheWeek | A Delicious Pre-Valentine’s Day Celebration
Wine, chocolate, cheese. ‘Nuf sed.
The magazine Edible Queens will host a pre-Valentine’s Day tasting, entitled “A Heart’s Desire,” at The Wine Room of Forest Hills on Thursday, Feb. 7, at 7 p.m.
The organizers will mix and match rare Italian reds with chocolate and items from Astoria’s Forever Cheese, which specializes in artisanal Mediterranean products.
Here are the selections with short descriptions.
- Bricco dei Guazzi Albarossa is a deep ruby red. The Piedmonte product, which features intense aromas of red berries and toasted coffee, pairs well with charcuterie, boiled meat, stews, roasts, and ripe cheeses.
- Bricco Del Drago Langhe, which is also from Piedmontese grapes, has a deep ruby color with violet hues. Drink it with robust and tasty dishes, such as tomato gnocchi and grilled meats.
- Valpolicella Ripasso San Michele has an intense ruby color with garnet highlights. The Veneto native boasts complex aromas of blackberries, plums, and fruit juice with light notes of leather, cedar, and spices. Medium-bodied, it’s ideal for most red meats, rich pasta dishes, spicy sausage, tangy BBQ, and cheeses.
- Violante Nero Di Troia is purple-red with a rich bouquet of wild red berries and notes of sweet violet. From the Puglia region, this wine has a juicy, full-bodied palate with a fine balance between fruit and structure. It’s goes well with soups, pasta sauces, meats, and burratas.
- Salento Rosso Apollonio is deep ruby red with rich aromas tickled by notes of blackberry, ripe red fruit, and hints of spices. The Puglia product pairs well with hearty roasted meat dishes, game, and spicy or flavorful hard cheeses.
- Cavalierino Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva is deep red and full-bodied with intense aromas of cinnamon, red fruit, pepper, and vanilla. Drink it with roasted meat and grilled steak.
Located at 96-09 69th Ave., The Wine Room of Forest Hills was established in 2005. It’s a Tuscan-style shop that sells beverages from around the world.
Images: Italian Wine ─ Taste the Passion