It’s in Queens
#InTheLoop | Live jazz on the second Thursday of every month
Back by popular demand, the Jamaica Center for Arts & Learning is offering another Thursday Night Jazz Series through June 2019. In partnership with The Jazz Gallery, JCAL is presenting live concerts at its community gallery, 161-04 Jamaica Ave., on the second Thursday of every month at 8 pm.
The season opened with multi-instrumentalist Morgan Guerin and his band on Oct 11. Here’s the rest of schedule.
- Nov. 8: Sasha Berliner is a musician, composer, producer, and band leader from San Francisco. At age 14, she was commissioned to lead a group performing an arrangement of one of the multi Grammy-winning artist Beck Hansen’s songs. Sasha is currently attending The New School of Jazz and Contemporary Music.
- Dec. 13: Caroline Davis, a saxophonist/composer, presents HEART TONIC. This new recording has metaphorical facets, including her feelings about relocation to NYC from Chicago and the emotional rigors of navigating NYC’s bustling jazz scene. There is also a more physiological aspect, as her father has a heart ailment.
- Jan. 10: Nick Dunston is a bassist, composer, scholar, and cross-disciplinary collaborator. He currently studies at The New School and is on track to graduate with a BA in Contemporary Music and a BFA in Jazz Performance.
- Feb. 14: Jasper Dütz is a multi-instrumentalist and composer. The New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music graduate has performed at The Jazz Gallery, Jazz Standard, Blue Note NYC, Walt Disney Concert Hall, Hollywood Bowl, and Monterey Jazz Festival.
- March 14: Joel Ross recently completed a two-year fellowship with the Brubeck Institute Jazz Quintet in California. The percussionist will perform with his Good Vibes ensemble.
- April 11: Abdulrahman Amer is a trombonist and composer who currently attends the Manhattan School of Music.
- May 9: Nerissa Campbell is a graduate of the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts. She performs regularly at 55 Bar, The Jazz Gallery, Fat Cat, Le Poisson Rouge, Zinc, and Rockwood Music Hall.
- June 13: Kalia Vandever is a trombonist, composer, and educator. She recently graduated from The Juilliard School as a member of the Jazz Studies – Bachelor of Music program.
General admission is $10 for all concerts.
#InTheLoop #Jazz #Jamaica #JCAL