Vander Ende-Onderdonk House
1820 Flushing Avenue Ridgewood, NY 11385
The oldest Dutch-American farmhouse in New York City. This house was built by Paulus Vander Ende, a Dutch farmer, in about 1709. The smaller wooden wing was erected much later. In the early 1800s, the property was purchased by the Onderdonk family.
With federal, state and city landmark status, the house’s features include heavy fieldstone walls, a wooden-shingle gambrel roof, and large brick chimneys. The interior is mainly exposed post-and-beam construction with wooden floors. There are double Dutch doors and numerous small, shuttered windows. In the cellar stands an old fireplace that was once used for the kitchen. On display inside the house are objects found during excavations conducted in the 1970s and 1980s as well as architectural and historical exhibits.
- All Categories