Flushing Quaker Meeting House
137-16 Northern Blvd., Flushing
The Friends Meeting House was built in 1694. It is the first house of worship in Flushing and New York City’s oldest structure in continuous use for religious purposes. It is also the second oldest Quaker meeting house in the United States.
The early Quakers did not use headstones until the mid 1820s, so it is difficult to determine all of those who are buried in the graveyard, but it is the final resting place for a number of prominent Quakers. Noted abolitionists William Burling and Matthew Franklin, Samuel Leggett, who founded The New York Gas Light Company, John Murray Jr., who co-founded the Free School Society and The Society for the Manumission of Slaves, are a few.
Inside scoop: There is a worship every Sunday at 11 am, and the house is open for tours. All are welcome, but it’s best to call ahead of time to make sure it’ll be open.
- All Categories
- Community Center